Waltham School History

WORK IN PROGRESS

WATCH THIS SPACE FOR A NEW ADDITION ABOUT THE AMAZING HISTORY OF OUR SCHOOL

ANYONE WITH ANY OLD PHOTO'S OF WALTHAM SCHOOL IS WELCOME TO EMAIL THEM TO US AND WE WILL ADD THEM TO THIS PAGE.

BRIEF HISTORY of WALTHAM SCHOOL, 1891 -

The orginal school was designed by W.T Schmidt, the Education Board's architect and built by Messrs Davison & Wilson. The original school was built of brick and consisted of 3 large rooms and a small classroom totalling 1870 sq.ft. in area to accommodate 300 pupils

1891 - The school opened with a staff of a headmaster, three assistance and four pupil teachers and a roll of 250 increasing to 420 for the year

1893 - a playground replaced the garden and was enclosed by a macrocarpa fence. Beautification of the grounds, including planting of a large number of trees and shrubs became a priority

1894 - an additional classroom was required to provide room for the increasing roll which had reached 550 pupils

1906 - Three additional classrooms were erected and the brick building was completed

1923 - the school was remodeled with the eight large classrooms being converted into thirteen smaller classrooms.

1929 - With strong demand and support from the school and surrounding community improvements to the amenities were undertaken. These included replacing the heating and ventilation system, new north facing windows , an asphalt court, two large shelter sheds (one for girls and one for boys) and several bicycle racks. A teachers' room was erected detached from the main building

1939 - The first four roomed open air verandah blocks was completed. The roll stood at 442

1949 - The establishment of the Sight Saving Class. Pupils with visual impairments were able to receive an education that was not available elsewhere in the city

1950 - The school Dental Clinic was opened on site

1954 - The school pool was opened and went on to host regular swimming carnivals for several years

1962 - The Sight Saving Class was integrated into ordinary classes

1965 - Administration block built

1966 - 75th Jubilee celebrated. The school role stood at 308

1970-1972 - Demolition of the old school and major redevelopment of the school was undertaken, with more improvements made in 1975 and 1978

1991 - 100 year Jubilee. The school had three teaching/administration blocks with two of these housing four classrooms - a resource room and children's toilet. A library and community school hall with a Dental clinic. The swimming pool and changing sheds with toilets were in regular use. An all weather adventure playground, 2 outdoor courts and large north facing grounds made up the rest of the school. The school roll was now at approx 160.

2018-2019 - Major upgrade to Waltham School classrooms following the 2011 earthquake.

2021 - School role is 282



ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS TO THE FOLLOWING FOR INFORMATION AND PHOTO'S SUPPLIED

  • Credit and thanks to the authors of the 75th and 100th Jubilee books which were fund of knowledge and photos.

  • Paul Morris - for the suggestion of adding a history page and for supplying some amazing photos